Monday, March 21, 2011

A hard time reading books...

Honestly, I have to admit that books did not play any crucial role in my childhood, unfortunately (or fortunately). Surely, my father would read me some short tales before I fell asleep (“Lokomotywa,” “Kopciuszek” or “Winnie the Pooh”), but I abandoned this ritual when I grew older – spending evenings in the playground seemed much more fun.

When I started Primary School I read everything that I was supposed to, even with having some fun, until Junior High School. Then, I realized how much of the books that I was forced to read were impossible to understand due to historical values or extremely difficult language (“Zemsta?”), so things which were far too mature for a kid of my age. Therefore, at this point of my life I decided to skip reading books as they were originally written, and started reading summaries that were not only less time consuming, but also easier to understand and go through.

So, one can come to a conclusion that it is not always the child who should be blamed for their reluctance to draw knowledge from books, but it is rather our educational system and its choices of required readings that can successfully discourage anybody from taking up reading. Sad, but true for me and for many other people, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. I must admit this comes as a bit of a surprise, considering your choice of studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I didn't say that I don't read now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, thanks for making that clear :)

    ReplyDelete